Ten newborn babies died on Saturday in a fire at a state-run hospital in western India, officials said.
There were 17 infants in the unit for sick newborn babies when the fire broke out in the early hours of Saturday at the Bhandara District General Hospital in Maharashtra state.
Seven infants died due to smoke suffocation, and three from burn injuries, Maharashtra health minister Rajesh Tope told reporters.
Seven babies were rescued by the nurses and ward staff.
READ ALSO: Just in: Lagos Ketu plank market on fire
All the infants were aged between a few days and three months, Bhandara district health official Prashant Uike said.
The government has ordered a probe into the incident and a safety audit of all neo-natal care units in the state.
Initial reports indicated that the fire may have been caused by a short circuit in one of the incubators, Tope said.
“The staff said the ward quickly filled with lots of black smoke,” the minister added.
Legal requirements for a post-mortem had been waived and the bodies of the children handed to their families, Tope added.
Families of the victims would be given compensation of 500,000 rupees (about 6,814 dollars) each. (dpa/NAN)
- PHOTOS: Huge Setback As Fire Guts Largest COVID-19 Vaccine Manufacturing Plant
- Northern Region: Dramani Farms burnt to ashes; 10,000 tubers of yam, 250 mango trees burnt
- This Is Heartless! Newborn Baby Found Dumped Inside Gutter In Benue (Photos)
- PHOTOS: Newborn baby found dead inside gutter in Benue
- Andrea Hall Made History When She Led the Pledge of Allegiance on Inauguration Day