Insurgents believed to be members of Boko Haram have hoisted their flag in parts of Marte local government in Borno State, according to military sources.
The insurgents repeatedly attacked the local government within the week.
On Friday, the insurgents attacked neighbouring Dikwa local government.
They were repelled by a combined effort of the air component and ground forces of Operation Lafiya Dole in a battle that lasted hours, sources said.
Meanwhile, the attack dislodged many residents of Dikwa who fled into bushes to take refuge.
READ ALSO: Four Mobile Police Officers Killed By Suspected Boko Haram Insurgents In Yobe
The insurgents also laid an ambush for the reinforcements deployed from the theatre command headquarters located in Maiduguri.
The attack on Marte came barely two months after the Borno state government resettled 500 households in New Marte.
The casualty figure for the attack is still unknown, but some soldiers injured from Marte have since been evacuated to Maiduguri where they are currently being treated.
- Boko Haram: ‘Three Majors’, ‘Captains’, Many Others Abscond After Marte, Dikwa Attacks
- Nigerian Army Breaks Silence On Reported Troops Desertion
- Boko Haram: UN Speaks On Attack On Its Facility
- Army Denies Troops Desertion After Boko Haram Attacks
- Nigeria Breaking News, Today, Wednesday, 3rd, March, 2021