President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the naming of the Idu railway complex and the light rail station both in the federal capital territory (FCT) after Amina Mohammed.
Naija News reports that Amina Mohammed, a former minister of environment in Nigeria., is the current deputy secretary-general of the United Nations.
The announcement was made on Tuesday, via the federal government’s Twitter handle @NigeriaGov.
The post on Twitter read: “NOTICE: The Federal Government of Nigeria has named the Idu Railway Complex—including the Idu Railway Station of #AbujaKadunaRail & the Light Rail Station of the FCT #AbujaMetro, and associated facilities—after @AminaJMohammed, Deputy Secretary General of the United Nations @UN,”
She becomes the first living Nigerian woman to have a railway station named after her.
Recall that Buhari had last year named some stations along the Lagos-Ibadan and the Itakpe-Ajaokuta-Warri corridors after ‘deserving Nigerians’.
Former President Goodluck Jonathan; Bola Tinubu, national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC); Wole Soyinka, Nobel laureate; and Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo are among those who made the list.
Other Nigerians that stations were named after include: Mobolaji Johnson (Ebute Metta Station); Babatunde Fashola (Agege Station); Lateef Jakande (Agbado Station); Obafemi Awolowo (Ibadan Station), Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti (Papalanto Station); Segun Osoba (Olodo Station) and Micheal Ibru (Opara Station).
- FG flags off rail freight services from Ijevwu to Itakpe
- We Can’t “Continue” With Bad Governance – PDP Tells Buhari On Behalf On Nigerians
- Buhari Snoring While Nigeria Sinks Under Him – Dino Melaye
- “Buhari Should Stop Acting Like Pharoah And Let Nigerians Go” – Pastor Giwa To Buhari
- DO You Agree?? Buhari Hasn’t Failed Nigerians, He’s Even Tolerating Rubbish – Masari