Media giant, CNN has aired a CCTV footage of Lekki Toll Gate Shooting by soldiers deployed to the location on October 20th, 2020.
If you recall, Brigadier-General Taiwo confirmed to the Lagos Judicial Panel live bullets were being useed by the Army personnel at the toll gate on the day of the incident.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, had last week described CNN’s report on the Lekki shootings as poor journalism, adding that the network deserved to be sanctioned.
Mohammed also followed up the threat with a letter addressed to the management of CNN in Atlanta.
The CNN report however highlights the fact that Brig.Gen Taiwo’s claim is at variance with the minister’s who had claimed last week that the army fired blank bullets.
— Pulse Nigeria (@PulseNigeria247) November 24, 2020
The fresh report also shows protesters running as soldiers open fire at the tollgate.
The National Broadcasting Commission, which is overseen by the information minister, had last month slammed hefty fines on three Nigerian television stations for daring to use some of the footage which CNN has also used.
The Federal Government has been receiving flak from members of the United Kingdom Parliament and Amnesty International over the killing of protesters, The Punch reports
- Senator Kalu Donates Cash, Relief Items To Widows Of Slain Soldiers
- Nigerian Soldier Sentenced To Death By Firing Squad For Killing His Colleague
- #EndSARS: We Are Working With Judicial Panel To Make Ethical Adjustments – Frank Mba
- Footage shows moment unarmed black man was killed by police after family called for psychiatric assistance
- COVID-19: British PM tells public to stay home as deaths soar