President Buhari today held a virtual meeting with former Heads of State on the state of the nation following the violent protests in several states.
Buhari met with all living former Heads of State and Presidents: Gen. Yakubu Gowon, former President Olusegun Obasanjo, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, Chief Ernest Shonekan, Gen. Abulsalami Abubakar, and former President Goodluck Jonathan.
Below is what he told them at the meeting;
“We accepted all the demands and proceeded immediately to scrap SARS and started the process of addressing the other demands.”
“Unfortunately, the protesters refused to call off the protest and engage the Government to address their grievances. Instead, they became emboldened and gradually turned violent.”
“We will continue to improve good governance through our democratic process including through sustained engagement.”
“’We shall also continue to ensure that liberty and freedom, as well as the fundamental rights of all citizens are protected. Here, I want to also reaffirm our commitment to preserving the unity of this country.”
- Recession: SERAP Asks Buhari To Cut Cost Of Governance
- Fuel Hike: We Are Not Planning To Embark On Strike Now – NLC
- Fuel Price Hike: Labour Leaders Walk Out Of Meeting With FG Delegation
- Recession: CAN asks Buhari to invite church leaders, calls for reform
- Petrol/Electricity Hike: Strike Not In Our Agenda Now – NLC