As the University of Miami campus filled up again for an uncertain new school year last month, a group of students, faculty, and on-campus workers acted out a grim warning.
On Sept. 4, demonstrators lay on the ground as if dead, some of them holding tombstones, while a Birkenstock-clad person in a grim reaper costume patrolled the scene.
The protesters were targeting what they said were unsafe working conditions for staff and faculty amid the COVID-19 pandemic. (Students have the option of learning remotely.) But they soon experienced a second scare: Despite all participants wearing masks, the university had managed to identify them and summon them to scolding by the Dean of Students.
Got a tip? Send it to The Daily Beast here
- New Columbia Study Blames the White House for at Least 130,000 ‘Avoidable’ COVID Deaths
- Trump Boasts Vaccine Is ‘Ready,’ Immediately Dials It Back
- Hunting Season Exposes the Hypocrisy of Governors Fighting Mask Mandates
- Proud Boys Hoaxes, Threats, and Spam Are Surging Before the Election
- End SARS: Expect mother of all protests any moment from now – Bamgbose warns Buhari