When Raphael Saadiq was hired by Sheila E. and Levi Seacer, Jr. in 1986 to tour Japan as part of Prince’s “Parade” tour, he saw the gig as a masterclass in building longevity. Those candid talks Saadiq had with Prince about what it takes to be successful encouraged him to pay close attention to how his prolific bandleader communicated his ideas to management, record executives, and venue personnel.
Thirty-five years later, Saadiq’s attention to detail paid off nicely. He’s a sought-after recording artist, musician, composer and producer that’s cool not being in the limelight. The founding member of R&B outfit Tony! Toni! Tone! and ensemble trio Lucy Pearl has performed with Michael Jackson, Mick Jagger, Lady Gaga, Kendrick Lamar, John Mellencamp, Stevie Wonder, Ludacris, Nile Rodgers, Elton John, and Snoop Dogg.
“I remain a fan of great music, and that’s what keeps me relevant,” Saadiq, now 54, said. “I guess I’ve been around it my whole life and just have this huge memory bank. I just try to take notes from my peers to see how we can get things accomplished.”
- Shooting WC: India win silver medal in Shot Gun World Cup
- God Bless Bobrisky – Nigerians React Bobrisky Invites Old Lady Living In Pitiful Poverty Into Her Mansion
- Lady runs mad after being dropped from a Lexus jeep (Video)
- Mississippi School District Faces Backlash After ‘Slave Writing Activity’ Assignment
- Megan Thee Stallion Partners With U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee And Others To Restore Houston Following The Winter Storm