On Sunday night, John Oliver opened the latest edition of Last Week Tonight by addressing #GaetzGate, the disturbing allegations against Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL)—namely, that he engaged in a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old and may have violated sex-trafficking laws by paying for the teenager to travel across state lines. (Gaetz has denied the allegations.)
“Lil Nas X twerking on Satan seems positively wholesome compared to the news this week concerning Matt Gaetz,” cracked Oliver. “Gaetz is being investigated for potentially violating sex-trafficking laws involving a minor—something he denies, claiming there is actually a multi-million dollar extortion plot behind the investigation.”
Yes, Gaetz claims that he’s been embroiled in a $25 million extortion plot involving a friend of his who’s under investigation for sex-trafficking. Gaetz, an ardent defender of Donald Trump, was also the only representative in Congress to vote against a 2017 human trafficking bill, and reportedly showed nude photos of women he claimed to have slept with to members of Congress on the House floor.
- The Matt Gaetz Problem That GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy Wishes Would Just Go Away
- Matt Gaetz’s Wingman Paid Dozens of Young Women—and a 17-Year-Old
- Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert Invent Reasons to Vote Against Bone Marrow Bill
- Texts Show D.C. National Guard Celebrating as They Intimidated George Floyd Protesters With Helicopters
- ‘Younger’ Is the Perfect Show to Usher Us Out of TV’s Horrible Pandemic Era