The Pentagon has seen a marked increase in servicemembers’ espousal of extremist views in the past year, a senior official acknowledged on Thursday.
“Over the past 12 months,” a senior Defense official told reporters, the Pentagon has received 200 notifications from the FBI when the bureau opens investigations into active or retired military personnel. Not all of those notifications were about extremism, the official cautioned.
“If we’d had this discussion in June, we’d be talking about Boogaloo and other movements that were in the news and active,” the official said, adding that cases of current and former military were made public back then. “There is an increase based on the societal increases” in support for white-supremacist extremism, he said.
- Pentagon Nixed Request to Give COVID Vaccine to National Guard Before Inauguration
- Here’s How the Military Should Deal With Its Capitol Rioters
- CNN Calls to Ban Conservative Voices, OANN and Newsmax
- Los Angeles County Surpasses 1 Million Coronavirus Cases
- US: What Trump will do during Biden’s inauguration revealed