The attention of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been drawn to misleading reports in the media that the Republic of Benin is aspiring to be the 37 State of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama in the presence of his counterpart from the Republic of Benin granted a Press Interview after a very fruitful meeting between Ministerial delegations from both countries and stated therein “… the President of Benin Republic said he would like the relations between the two countries to be so close as if Benin was the 37th State of Nigeria”.
The Federal Republic of Nigeria has no territorial ambition and has never aspired to make Benin or any country as part of Nigeria.
The Minister of Foreign Affairs was therefore quoted out of context and the general public should kindly disregard the wrong information.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Abuja
Saturday, 20 February, 2021
- ‘You’re A Confused Old Man With Clouded Judgement’- Malami Knocks Sagay
- Edo govt, APC fight over N30bn stormwater project
- Ministry’s ‘attitude’ worries stakeholders as Presidency lobbies supportNews — Newspot – Nigeria and World News
- 5G poses no health risk to public health, safety – FG
- Fani-Kayode Vowed To Remain In PDP – Ologbondiyan