“It’s like taking a penalty at Wembley!” Ricky Gervais admits he’s filled with nerves before roasting star-studded Golden Globes audience
Ricky Gervais has admitted he’s getting nervous before roasting the star-studded Golden Globe audience, during an appearance on The Graham Norton, which airs on Friday.
The 60-year-old comedian, who hosted the ceremony five times, revealed he was filled with fear of ‘eating’ his jokes aimed at Hollywood’s biggest stars.
Asked about this year’s canceled Golden Globes due to Covid-19, Ricky told the talk show host: ‘They didn’t happen for a lot of reasons. I loved it – the first time I did it 10 years ago people were shocked that I was being mean to celebrities.
Surprise: Ricky Gervais admitted he was nervous before roasting the star-studded Golden Globe audience, during an appearance on The Graham Norton on Friday
“But the fifth time around, I think I hit the mark – everyone was awful about celebrities; it was part of the spirit of the times.
“I loved it but it was nerve wracking because you only get one chance not to joke – it’s like taking a penalty at Wembley!” I’m really glad I did, but that’s enough.
Ricky skewered ‘woke’ Hollywood, made jokes about Jeffrey Epstien, Harvey Weinstein and Prince Andrew, and touched on topics like MeToo and ISIS as he left his prominent audiences cringing at previous Goldens ceremonies. Globes.
Hilarious: The comedian, 60, revealed he became filled with fear as he ‘puffed’ his jokes ‘directed at Hollywood’s biggest stars (pictured in 2020)
wow! Ricky skewered ‘woke’ Hollywood as he left his A-list audience grimacing during his opening monologues at previous ceremonies (Tom Hanks and Gwyneth Paltrow are pictured)
Honest: Asked about this year’s canceled Golden Globes due to Covid-19, he told the talk show host: ‘I loved it – first time I did it 10 years ago , people were shocked”
Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro and Gwyneth Paltrow were left with stunned looks on their faces as the actor mocked Felicity Huffman over the 2020 college admissions scandal.
He also called James Corden “massive p***y” and ripped Judi Dench for “licking” her own private parts in his eight-minute speech.
In a blunt moment, he advised those receiving awards to avoid making political speeches because “you are not in a position to respond to the public about anything”, adding: “If you win, ride, accept your small prize, thank your agent and your God and get the hell out of here.’
The British comedian made his point, joking: “You say you’re awake, but the companies you work for in China – unbelievable. Apple, Amazon, Disney. If ISIS launched a streaming service, you would call your agent, right? »
Elsewhere in the interview, Ricky talked about the third and final season of After Life which finally hit Netflix on Friday, and talking about the success of his comedy-drama, he also talked about his emotional response.
The actor plays the lead role of Tony Johnson, the pipe’s life is turned upside down after the death of his wife from breast cancer.
Ricky admitted: “It’s overwhelming. I never thought it would be this big and the best part was the emotional response.
When asked why there was a third series when he normally only had two, he replied, “It was good, there was more scope and a bigger story”. People always think I’m crazy for stopping at two, but there are always new and exciting things to do.
Mesmerizing: After the third and final season of Life was released on Netflix on Friday, and speaking about the success of the drama, he spoke about the emotional response (pictured in character)
Ricky Gervais’ Most Controversial Golden Globes Jokes
- You say you’re awake, but the companies you work for in China are amazing. Apple, Amazon, Disney. If ISIS launched a streaming service, you would call your agent, right?
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood – almost three hours. Leonardo DiCaprio attended the premiere and by the end his date was too old for him. Even Prince Andrew is like ‘Come on Leo, mate’
- Came in a limo tonight and the license plate was made by Felicity Huffman
- [Afterlife] is a show about a man who wants to kill himself because his wife died of cancer and it’s even funnier than that. Spoiler alert, season two is on the way so he didn’t kill himself…just like Jeffrey Epstein. I know he’s your friend, I don’t care
- [Birdbox is] a film where people survive by pretending they don’t see anything. A bit like working for Harvey Weinstein
- It was a big year for pedophile films. Surviving R Kelly, Leaving Neverland, Two Popes
- The world got to see James Corden as a fat p****. He was also in the movie Cats, but nobody saw that
- Dame Judi Dench defended [Cats] saying it was the role she was born for because she loves nothing better than throwing herself on the mat, lifting her leg and licking it [expletive]
- You are in no position to lecture the public on anything. You don’t know anything about the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta Thunberg
- Chrishell Stause screams as she receives the first copies of her brand new book Under Construction
- Dwayne Johnson’s motivational speech backfires in real time during live stream
- I Made My First Million In My Twenties – Osita Iheme Brags
- “I warned her to be careful with men” – Mother of lady found dead in Jos with her vital organs missing
- Ioan Gruffudd shares rare post as he publicly supports girlfriend Bianca Wallace
Don’t Miss Out!
Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 5:03 AM
Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 4:00 AM
Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 3:30 AM
Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 3:16 AM