#Roommates, 17-year-old tennis champion Coco Gauff has just tested positive for COVID-19 and will no longer be competing at the Tokyo Olympics. Coco Gauff joins the growing list of Olympic athletes to test positive for the virus, the latest number is close to 50 confirmed cases.
While she was recently expected to bring home multiple gold medals for Team USA, tennis star Coco Gauff broke the devastating news that after testing positive for COVID-19, she will not compete in the Tokyo Olympics. It would have been her very first Olympic appearance.
Taking to social media to officially break the news, Coco shared the following message:
“I am so disappointed to share the news that I have tested positive for COVID and won’t be able to play in the Olympic Games in Tokyo. It has always been a dream of mine to represent the USA at the Olympics, and I hope there will be many more chances for me to make this come true in the future.”
View this post on Instagram
Additionally, the U.S. Tennis Association reacted to Coco’s news via statement, “The entire USA Tennis Olympic contingent is heartbroken for Coco. We wish her the best as she deals with this unfortunate situation and hope to see her back on the courts very soon.”
As we previously reported, within the last few days, the hopes that the Tokyo Olympics would be COVID19-free have pretty much ended. Not only have those affiliated with the Olympics tested positive for the virus, star athletes have also had to drop out after contracting it—and that now includes Coco Gauff.
Want tea directly in your text inbox? Hit us up at 917-722-8057 or click here to join!
The post Tennis Star Coco Gauff Tests Positive For COVID-19 & Will No Longer Compete In The Tokyo Olympics appeared first on The Shade Room.
- Tokyo Olympics Record Alert! Emma McKeon of USA becomes first female swimmer to win 7 medals at single Games
- Tokyo Olympics Wrestling Day 1 Draws: Check out full draws, schedule, dates, watch live, all you need to know
- Tokyo Olympics Boxing LIVE: Satish Kumar ready to face off former World Champion Jalolov for place in Semifinals coming up shortly; Follow LIVE Updates
- Olympic Boss Wanted Flame Lit by ‘Pure Japanese’ Ex-Yankee Player, Not Osaka
- Tokyo Olympics Boxing LIVE: Big Battle for Satish Kumar, ready to face former World Champion Jalolov for place in Semifinals, Follow LIVE Updates