Thanks to the bombshell documents the House Oversight and Reform Committee released just ahead of Tuesday’s hearing on the Jan. 6 insurrection, Americans have a clear and unmistakable view of just how far former President Donald Trump went in trying to corrupt our democratic institutions, engage in a violent coup, and overturn our free and fair election.
“These documents show that President Trump tried to corrupt our nation’s chief law enforcement agency in a brazen attempt to overturn an election that he lost,” said Democratic committee chairwoman Carolyn Maloney. She’s absolutely correct. I would add one simple edit: It’s Trump and the GOP. He attempted a coup—and, yes, we should all use the word—and he’s still trying with ample help from Republicans.
If you consider that hyperbole, I direct you to those bombshell documents revealing how the Trump administration, including chief of staff Mark Meadows, attempted to pressure the Department of Justice to advance dangerous conspiracy theories of election fraud and influence courts to nullify the election results so Trump could stay in power.
- Nancy Pelosi: I ‘Plan’ to Name Adam Kinzinger to Jan. 6 Committee
- A Key Trump Witness Is Being Muzzled Over Her Custody Battle
- Is January 6 A Love Fest Or A Slug Fest? Asks Wumi Akintide
- Michael Flynn says maybe he’ll ‘find somebody in Washington, D.C.,’ after being given an AR-15
- Yusuf Buhari and Zahra Bayero’s wedding to hold on August 20