Some might say the 2020 Tokyo Olympics was doomed from the start. The number of COVID-19 cases inside the Olympic Village is climbing at such a quick pace, the Olympics committee has started an online ticker to keep track.
Early Monday, the toll began to finally hit home for American Olympics fans: The U.S. women’s gymnastics team confirmed that one of its alternate members had tested positive for COVID-19, putting the whole team at risk of missing their competition as they self-isolate. The infection was detected in the city of Narita, about 35 miles from the main Olympic venue.
The U.S. team did not identify the athlete. As the news came, Olympic favorite Simone Biles posted a picture of herself, masked, inside the Olympic Village, as part of what was reported to be a team photo op.
- Simone Biles to sit out at least two individual competitions
- US Olympic Fencers Wore Pink Masks To Protest Their Teammate Accused Of Sexual Misconduct
- Tokyo Olympic: Blessing Okagbare suspended for failing drug test
- Tokyo Olympics Wrestling Day 1 Draws: Check out full draws, schedule, dates, watch live, all you need to know
- Igali Praises Oborududu, Says Wrestlers Not Under Pressure – Newspot