Ugandan weightlifter Julius Ssekitoleko failed to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics this week. Then, on Friday, he disappeared.
A note has been discovered, CNN reports, written by the 20-year-old insisting he went missing on purpose and does not want to return to his home country because life there is too difficult.
Ssekitoleko reportedly asked that his belongings be sent home to his wife. His whereabouts are still unknown, but CNN and local reports confirm Ssekitoleko bought a bullet train ticket to the city of Nagoya after last being seen early Friday morning near his hotel. Nagoya is just under two hours from Tokyo by bullet train.
- Tokyo Olympics: Home favourite Kei Nishikori storms into quarters, to face World No 1 Novak Djokovic
- India at Tokyo Olympics Day 6: Sindhu wins, Hockey team disappoints, Deepika Kumari in action next – Follow live updates
- India at Tokyo Olympics Day 8 LIVE Results: Huge day for PV Sindhu, Deepika Kumari & Women Boxers, follow all Live updates
- India at Tokyo Olympics: Avinash Sable finishes 7th in 3000M Steeplechase, Dutee Chand Coming Up next- Follow live updates
- Tokyo Olympics Badminton Semifinals: PV Sindhu vs Tai Tzu Ying, Head-to-Head record, LIVE streaming; all you need to know